Threadlift: Silhouette Soft vs. PDO Threads, Which is Better?
THREADS: The threadlift is gaining popularity as a quick “lunchtime lift” and those of us at Regen Doctor are happy about that. Threads use regenerative science to help create a tighter face and sharper V contour in our patients. Moreover, unlike dermal fillers, they can actually provide a little lift to sagging skin. (We can have this debate in-office, however, fillers are weighted materials. They replace volume. In skilled hands they can appear to be “lifting” sagging skin, however, they are mostly adding contour and replacing lost volume.)
Back to Threads: Silhouette Soft threads are all the rage in the UK and the US. They are made of PLLA material. (Think Sculptra: Lasts a long time, encourages your body to produce collagen.) PDO threads started in Asia, originating from Korea. These are adorably called a “sugar lift” as the threads dissolve but also encourage your body to produce collagen in areas of volume depletion. Both have their pros and cons.
- PDO Threadlift:
- Silhouette Soft PLLA:
- Even after the threads dissolve your collagen stays behind. This is the important benefit of a threadlift versus filler alone. The results of the threadlift keep on going even after the material is long gone. Thank your body’s collagen induction reaction.
Polydioxanone material is commonly used as a surgical suture, and tends to last on average 6 months before it dissolves. These are the basic “Korean threads”, though differ brands differ in terms of design (monos, barbs, cogs, multi etc).
Poly-L-Lactic Acid material are also used as surgical sutures, and have greater longevity than PDO, averaging 12 months before dissolving. Thus, they can stimulate collagen for a longer duration. Once dissolved, the material breaks down into glucose, carbon dioxide and water.
- PDO threadlifts are great for soft tissue lifting. The instant and immediate lift is often tighter. PDO threadlifts may be superior for nose lifting.
- Silhouette Soft threadlifts may be superior for lifting and volumization. The cones compress soft tissue together nicely.
- Jawline & Neckline
- Midface, Cheeks
Immediate: Your skin is immediately lifted as the threads lift soft tissue to its new position. You may look and feel slightly tighter than the final result. 1 week later: You will start to look and feel more natural. 3 months: Skin rejuvenation peaks. You will notice improved skin texture, smoother and firmer skin. 6 months: PDO threads dissolve, but the results persist for many more months. Regen Doctor recommends LIGHT touchups 6 months after the initial treatment, to allow for a long lasting result of up to 2 years.
1. PCL (Polycaprolactone) thread tends to dissolve after 24 months
2. PLLA (Poly L Lactic Acid) thread tends to dissolve after 12 months
3. PDO (Polydioxanone) thread tends to dissolve after 6 months
|Biodegradation period||6-8 months||14-18 months|